Why we never use spa chair foot baths
Whirlpool spa foot baths have health risks that you should know about:
- Even when a best effort is made to disinfect a spa chair foot bath basin, a risk of infectious disease still exists.
- There are many documented cases of foot and leg infections that were found to have been caused by treatments in a spa chair foot bath.
At Recharge Medical and Day Spa, we don't take these risks with your health. We provide all pedicure and manicure soaks in stainless steel bowls. After each use the bowl is scrubbed and soaked in germicide. This process prevents the spread of bacteria, fungus, and other infectious diseases. This method also enables us to use natural herbs and oils that would clog spa chair foot bath basins. These herbs and oils add further luxury to our pedicures.
- Preventing Pedicure Foot Spa Infections - Information for customers of salon pedicure foot spas which can help reduce the potential for infections associated with pedicure foot spa use from the United States Environmental Protection Agency.
- Recommended Cleaning and Disinfection Procedures for Foot Spa Basins in Salons - Information for salon owners, operators, and workers about disinfecting pedicure foot spa equipment from the United States Environmental Protection Agency.
- Whirlpool Footspa Safety (PDF) - Frequently asked questions from the California Board of Barbering and Cosmetology.
- Mycobacteria in Nail Salon Whirlpool Footbaths, California (HTML), also available in PDF: Mycobacteria in Nail Salon Whirlpool Footbaths, California (PDF)
- Mycobacterial infections and pedicures - Public Health Bulletin, County of Orange, California, Health Care Agency, Volume 54, Number 1, Winter-Spring 2005.